Sunday, September 12, 2010

Apple Butter

My friend Suzy gave me a garbage bag full of apples a few weeks ago so I've been busy washing, peeling, coring, slicing and dicing apples, by hand, ever since! I haven't done much besides apple crisp or apple pie in the past, so I decided to try apple butter after my lovely sister-in-law suggested it. Lucky for me, it turned out pretty well!

5 1/2 lbs apples (about 15-20 apples, depending on size)
2 c white sugar
2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t ground cloves
1/4 t nutmeg
1/2 t salt

Peel, core and finely chop apples to nearly fill a 4 quart crock pot. Mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.

Cover and cook on high 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown. Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk to increase smoothness.

Spoon apple butter into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment